Released July, 2009
The Pros:Enables a range of devices to be network connected via a single hub. Fast connection, providing the house/apartment's internal wiring are good. Simple plug and play setup that instantly connect all your media devices.
The Cons:Wireless ethernet media hub is arguably a better option as the speed does not entirely depend on the wiring, also reduces cable clutter. Advertised speed is possible, but is 100% dependent on the house's wiring.
Even a concept as streamlined as the one behind Powerline technology (ie. convert a house's existing powerlines into high speed connections rather than installing Ethernet lines) can run into hiccups, with the notable one being that the size of most adapters obstructs any nearby outlets in addition to the one they're plugged into.
Loading latest prices from ProductWiki...
Netgear's solution is in the XAVB1004 Home Theatre Internet Connection Kit, which combines four Ethernet ports into a hub-style device that sits free of the wall. Also included is a Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter, and the two work in tandem to create a high speed Ethernet network. First, the adapter is plugged into a router. Then the hub, as its name suggests, is installed in the entertainment room, where it offers four ports for Ethernet-enabled devices (HDTVs, TiVos, game consoles, Blu-Ray,etc.) to connect to the Ethernet network to share internet, games, storage, HD videos and more at a speed of 200 mbps. 128-bit AES security encryption ensures the safety of the network and can be setup with the press of a button while a Pick-A-Plug display tests connections automatically for high performance. The XAVB1004 Kit includes 2 Ethernet cables, a Setup CD, and a 1 year warranty.
- Creates a network capable of sharing HD video, VoIP, photos, documents, networked games and storage
- Includes 1 Powerline AV 200 Single-Port Adapter and 1 Powerline AV 200 4-Port Adapter
- 4-Port hub includes 4 Ethernet Ports with prioritization for faster connections for more important devices
- Pick-A-Plug display tests connections automatically and optimizes performance
- Networking Feature: Bridge
- Connection speed: 200 mbps
- Network Connectivity Technology: Wired
- Supports Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, and HomePlug AV (HPAV)
- 128-bit AES security encryption offers easy setup with Push-and-Secure
- Plugs into standard HomePlug AV outlet
- Includes Setup CD and installation guide
- 1 year warranty
- LEDs indicate status; powers down automatically when not in use
- Compatible with Mac OS X and Windows XP/Vista/7
User Reviews (1)
Enables a range of devices to be network connected via a single hub
Fast connection, providing the house/apartment's internal wiring are good
Simple plug and play setup that instantly connect all your media devices
Good for locations such as the basement where wireless signals might not reach
The hub is compact and subtle, can be well hidden in a living room
Wireless ethernet media hub is arguably a better option as the speed does not entirely depend on the wiring, also reduces cable clutter
Advertised speed is possible, but is 100% dependent on the house's wiring
You may also like...